Monday, April 6, 2009

The difference between a man and a woman

I am sure there are a vast number of differences between men and women, and specifically Chris and me. These differences are usually highlighted when we are attempting to move, or perform some joint physical task. That seems to be the area where Chris and I have the least in common, and are most prone to friction.

Yesterday, we went to pick up this cutie pie little rocking chair for Hayden,along with two adult-sized versions for our new porch. (Have you seen this porch?! It could hold a dozen rockers; our budget unfortunately, will not)
We went to load our 4Runner, which we weren't entirely sure would hold all three rockers and all three passengers, but we were game to try. I held Hayden as I watched Chris try to push and contort the rockers into various combinations, including one that had the back of a rocker balanced precariously over Hayden's carseat, all to no avail - the legs or the rockers or the arms stuck out the back of the vehicle too far to close the hatch.
-----------------------------------------
Me: Here, hold Hayden a minute.
Chris: There's no way you're going to get those in, Hon. They just won't fit. We'll have to come back for the other one.
Me: Here, just hold her for me.
Chris: Hayden, let's watch Mommy. She thinks she's going to engineer a solution here...
----------
Thirty seconds later
----------
Chris: See? I told you it wasn't going to g-
----------
I close the back hatch with inches to spare
----------
Chris: I am NOT believing you got those all in there.
Me: Told you. (because sometimes, you just have to say it.)
-------------------------------------------
Granted, my talent for efficient packing of boxes, cars, suitcases, pretty much anything has, on the rare occasion, been a, well, let's say a bit of a challenge to our relationship (read: Chris has threatened to leave me standing with the frickity-flippity-frickin pile in the middle of the driveway on more than one occasion). I think of it as a gift. You give me some dimensions, an empty space, a container that needs filling, and I will find the way to cram as much stuff as neatly, efficiently and organized-ly as possible. No matter that it may take me an hour or more to get it just so, but it will be a work of art when it's finished, and I dare you to find the package or parcel that will slide out of place on even the tightest corner turn.
Chris, on the other hand, despite being a bona fide Georgia Tech engineer, has a knack for fitting the absolute fewest items into the space as possible. And they are guaranteed to turn upside down and spill into every crevice of your vehicle at the first pot hole. To give him credit, though, he is probably the fastest packer in history, next to his brother.
His brother is a whole other brand of fast. And it's not so much packing, as moving in general. When we got to the house yesterday to show Randy and Abbie, we had a small load of items in the back of the 4Runner that I was going to carry to the attic. As we were showing them around the house, I went out to the car and grabbed a couple boxes. By the time I got to the attic, I heard a noise behind me and there was Randy, arms laden with our stuff, asking me where to set it. I swear, it's a compulsion for him. If there is moving to be done, he's gotta do it. That's some efficiency there - I have to admire that about him. I haven't witnessed him pack a car, but I imagine that his packing could rival my own.
The point of this story is not to say my way is right, or Chris's is right, but to say, please keep us in your prayers as we begin moving this week.(Yes, you heard me right - we are going to MOVE!!!! FINALLY!!!!!) Due to our different moving styles, I fear for our marriage, our sanity, or both. Actually, we survived moving into the rental house while I was 5 months pregnant and not allowed to lift a thing. I think our marriage will survive the move, but our sanity is definitely in jeopardy.

1 comment:

Jenni said...

It was great to see you and Hayden tonight! I am sorry Tilden was a bit fussy and I had to run off, but we will get together after your move. Y'all will be in our thoughts and prayers. I am just so excited that y'all are finally moving in. Woo hoo!