Sunday, April 12, 2009

Daybreak

Our first morning in the new house - Easter morning. We were greeted with a gorgeous sunrise, one of God's reminders of his love and power, which we soaked in from our bedroom and from the back porch. How good it is to be home.


You know, I can't see a beautiful sunrise or sunset without wanting to call my mom and share it with her. Growing up, on road trips when we'd travel overnight, she'd wake us up in the morning to peer out the rear window at the fiery colors exploding across the sky. On nights there was a full moon, we'd shuffle outside in our PJ's to see it's glittery brightness, and if there was ever a meteor shower or other celestial event, we'd drive out to a dark field somewhere, climb up on the car and huddle together under blankets to count the shooting stars.


Somehow it seemed fitting to wake up our first morning in this new house, with the beautiful rainbow of colors streaming into our room. I turned to Hayden and told her to look outside at this wondrous morning God had created for us to enjoy and celebrate, and I thought of Mom. I love that I have a daughter now to continue that tradition with, and I know that no matter how old I get or how far away I am from my mother, she'll always be close by me at least twice a day - when the sun rises and sets. I love you, Mom. Thanks for all the memories. Good times, good times...

No comments: