Steel Magnolias is one of my all time favorite movies - probably my absolute favorite. I have watched it at least a hundred times, and can quote every line from heart. In college, we would watch it at least once a week, and Katie and I finally had to buy our house-mates a copy so they'd stop borrowing ours. When I bake wedding cakes, it's always on in the background - the armadillo cake as an inspiration, of course.
Friday night, while Chris was in the throes of preparing for the big Steam Day, Hayden and I found ourselves alone with not much to do. I got a wild hair and decided we should go see the play Steel Magnolias, that the movie was adapted from. It was playing in Tate, at the historic gym where Hayden's Grandma and Daddy played basketball when they were growing up. Jasper's own Tater Patch Players were performing, and an acquaintance of ours was playing Ouiser, so I was dying to see it.

The night was a first for both Hayden and I - our first play together, our first time seeing the TTP's perform, and our first time watching Steel Magnolias together, our first "girls' night out". Hayden was an absolute doll (of course!). She watched the play for a bit, had some dinner, and napped through most of the play. She never so much as made a peep! I am sure some of the people in line thought, "oh great, a baby!", and I want to make it clear that I am not, and hope to never be, one of those parents that doesn't understand when and where appropriate places for children are. If Hayden had lost her cool, we were positioned at the very back of the auditorium, poised for a quick exit. I knew my gal would be fine though, and she did splendidly! As usual, she even got a little audience of her own - everyone always loves looking at my 'living doll'.
For anyone that hasn't seen a Tater Patch play, I highly recommend it. It is a staple here in the North Georgia Mountains, and almost everyone has been in a performance or had children, nephews, nieces, brothers, sisters, mothers or fathers in a performance. They are working hard to raise the money to purchase a playhouse that will be a home for them finally, as they have been a bit of a gypsy troupe until now, always having to find a venue for performances. I hope they are able to buy the building and establish themselves there - I would love one day to see little Hayden up there playing a convincing Juliet Capulet, Anne Boleyn, or even Shelby Eatenton Latcherie!
Friday night, while Chris was in the throes of preparing for the big Steam Day, Hayden and I found ourselves alone with not much to do. I got a wild hair and decided we should go see the play Steel Magnolias, that the movie was adapted from. It was playing in Tate, at the historic gym where Hayden's Grandma and Daddy played basketball when they were growing up. Jasper's own Tater Patch Players were performing, and an acquaintance of ours was playing Ouiser, so I was dying to see it.

The night was a first for both Hayden and I - our first play together, our first time seeing the TTP's perform, and our first time watching Steel Magnolias together, our first "girls' night out". Hayden was an absolute doll (of course!). She watched the play for a bit, had some dinner, and napped through most of the play. She never so much as made a peep! I am sure some of the people in line thought, "oh great, a baby!", and I want to make it clear that I am not, and hope to never be, one of those parents that doesn't understand when and where appropriate places for children are. If Hayden had lost her cool, we were positioned at the very back of the auditorium, poised for a quick exit. I knew my gal would be fine though, and she did splendidly! As usual, she even got a little audience of her own - everyone always loves looking at my 'living doll'.
For anyone that hasn't seen a Tater Patch play, I highly recommend it. It is a staple here in the North Georgia Mountains, and almost everyone has been in a performance or had children, nephews, nieces, brothers, sisters, mothers or fathers in a performance. They are working hard to raise the money to purchase a playhouse that will be a home for them finally, as they have been a bit of a gypsy troupe until now, always having to find a venue for performances. I hope they are able to buy the building and establish themselves there - I would love one day to see little Hayden up there playing a convincing Juliet Capulet, Anne Boleyn, or even Shelby Eatenton Latcherie!
No comments:
Post a Comment