Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Bathing Beauty

I swear, I want to just inhale this baby like a great big pink cotton candy... Is she not the cutest thing ever?!

I may have mentioned before Hayden's love of the shower. I know many babies enjoy being bathed, but as we have experienced on several occasions, despite having the very cute, very popular, high-tech little sling bath tub designed for wee itty babies, Hayden generally wants nothing to do with it. If I put her in that thing, she stiffens up, turns red and starts that terrible screaming that eventually turns soundless as I watch her battle her desire to breathe long enough to let me know that, hey Mom! This bath thing? I am NOT down with this. At all.
She typically will only endure a bath under two circumstances - 1. If I use the spray hose on her while in the horrific baby bath contraption, or 2. If I fill a real bath and have her in it with me.

This reaction to her baths, along with my desperate need (just ask Chris) for a shower prompted me very early on to grab Hayden and bring her into the shower with me. It was like magic. The kid LOVES the shower! We started this when she was probably only 2 weeks old, and she instantly loved it - it could stop a crying fit immediately. She loves to lean back and let the water stream down her head and face, and then comes up sputtering and blinking, and immediately dives backwards again for more.

Don't get me wrong - trying to take a shower with a slippery, wriggly baby has its challenges, especially if I want to make sure we both actually get clean, and not just wet. We've worked out the kinks over the last few months, and when Chris is on hand to come get her and dry her off after I've washed her, that works especially well, but even when it's just Hayden and I, we manage okay.

Despite having gotten a bath last night due to a minor explosion of sorts, we had another type of explosion this morning that called for a shower this morning (actually, maybe this was payback for the bath last night). So, it came to pass that Hayden had her first shower in our new house, and of course she loved it. Mommy loved that we have a seat in there, which helps with the wet baby wrangling. Afterwards, we wrapped up good and warm in our elephant hoodie towel before coming out into the cool bathroom (in-shower towel hook, another of Mommy's new favorite things), which kept us from having a meltdown over the temperature change.

Then, came another of Hayden's favorites - getting her hair dried. This little one has so much hair that we don't have the time to let it air dry, and another very early discovery was that she loved the sound of the hair dryer when I dried my hair, so we tried it on her, and found she loved the sound and the feel of that warm air all around her. She used to just close her eyes and tilt that head back and let it stand all that hair up on end. These days, she's more focused on trying to help with the process (and watching herself in the mirror!) than laying back and zoning out, but I tell her that if she'll just wait til she's my age, she'd give anything to be able to chill out for a little while and let someone else fix her hair.
I think we definitely have a spa date or two in our future... This little gal likes the pampering!

1 comment:

Jenni said...

She is so darn cute!!! I love that she is so into the whole process.