I just read this post, written by my friend Jenni about her new son Tilden. It gave me goose bumps to read it because I'd felt that about my daughter, but hadn't yet wrapped my mind around it enough to put it into words. Jenni does so beautifully.
Oh, that our children could always remain so innocent and pure and accepting! I look into Hayden's eyes and her delight and excitement at seeing me overwhelms her whole body. She wriggles and grins and gurgles with joy at being near me. All she knows now is the good in me - I hold her close, keep her warm, feed her and love her. She doesn't yet know that her mother is human and broken and sinful. It truly makes me want to be a better woman, to earn her love.
I think that's why God sends us babies - to be reminders of Him and His love for us. No matter what we do, or how badly we fail or fall short, He's always there with open arms, ready to welcome us back, seeing straight through to the good in us. To the God in us.
How, in the presence of a child, can you not believe in God? To know love like that, so pure and unadulterated. There is no theory or science or equation that can account for that feeling. That must be God.
No comments:
Post a Comment