I have a confession to make. I haven't checked my personal email account in nearly a month. I haven't been on Facebook in nearly 2 months. I refuse to Twitter, and you're lucky I'm even writing this. I am proud to note, however, I have checked my personal voicemail twice in the last week. TWICE. That has to be a record!
I know, shameful. But, seriously, am I the only one that gets completely, utterly, overwhelmingly overwhelmed by all this freaking technology?!?! Or just by life in general? There are some days, it's a comfort, a refuge, a place to turn to when I'm bored or curious or excited to share, and there are days it is absolutely a cement block around my feet, dragging me to the ocean floor.
The problem is with all this technology, being updated ALL. THE. TIME. is that it's like a high-speed train. It leaves the station with a quick jolt, a lurch, and then steadily picks up speed until you're flying off to who knows where so fast you can only make out a greenish blur of vegatation out the window. Once you start, there is no easy stopping point. There isn't a pause button, an emergency pull handle by your increasingly uncomfortable, slightly cramped seat on this bullet train. There's no way to call a time out without being dumped out of the cargo car uncerimoniously to be quickly forgotten by the rest of the passengers, who are all nose-down in their blackberries and ipones anyway, and barely missed you as you excused yourself to slide by them to the bar car.
I've probably carried this metaphor on for too long, but my point is, I get tired. I get overwhelmed, and I just want all that crap to go away from time to time. Why can't we get back to the days of the pony express? I could handle things much better if they came at me 1-2 letters at a time, instead of the 50-100 I get in my inbox everyday. That doesn't include the messages on my phoneSSSS, on my personal inbox, in my mailbox, and on my facebook page.
Those of you who know me, know I love to talk and communicate as much as the next person, but in the words of an old friend of mine, "class, can we all just put our heads down for a bit?"
No comments:
Post a Comment