Thursday, October 8, 2009

Trial by Fire

Yesterday, I got a phone call from one of my very best friends that her house had just burned down. Entirely down. Thankfully, they were not home when it happened, so she, her husband and her infant son are all safe and sound, but I know the loss is just devastating nonetheless.

In a moment, their entire lives were turned upside down. So many of the things they hold near and dear are now a soggy pile of ashes and rubble. They have such a great perspective on it. While I know they will grieve for memories and keepsakes lost, they are so very thankful that they still have one another and that they have friends and family to help them through this time.

They are the latest in a series of updates I have gotten on friends and family this week, all of whom are struggling with their own trials and tribulations.

A dear friend is facing divorce, again, and this time has a baby who will walk this road with her. I know it is an added source of anxiety and sorrow for her that her child will endure this, but I pray that her son will bring her joy and hope and peace as well.

Another family is losing their home and farm. The result of people not keeping their word and bond, of a sour economy and a lack of work, this couple who should be enjoying their retirement and their grandchildren are now figuring out how to start over. They're watching the fruits of their labors evaporate before them. It's a heartbreaking scene, to say the least.

And yet another friend, who did his best to keep afloat during this economic storm, and help others to tread water, made some unfortunate choices that is going to cost him so very dearly. In this era of intolerance for bending the rules, I'm afraid it is a heavy book indeed that will be thrown at him. And while he is owning up entirely to the situation, it is so saddening to watch his family and friends suffer the consequences as well; innocent bystanders all.

For me, watching those I love and care for suffer so it intolerable. It wrenches my sleep from me and tears at my heartstrings. I selfishly am so thankful for the blessings that I have, for the road that I am walking which is so unfettered by obstacles, for God's grace in my life. At the same time, I believe in my heart of hearts that God's grace is with each of them as well. Whenever I witness someone enduring one of these challenges of life, I think back to the poem "Footprints", and I can see the way God is carrying them through the valley. I know it is hard in the midst of tragedy to see the miracles that are worked in our lives, but I truly believe He is with us all. While we cannot live a life devoid of sorrow or strife, He can find ways to lift us up and bless us through the grief. He can bring us hope, and love, and happiness, and help us continue on in faith.

Please, when you pray, pray for my friends and family in need. And I, when I pray, will pray for each of you.

No comments: