Last night, late (after 10pm, what a fuddy-duddy am I?), I had gotten Hayden's diaper changed, got her pj's on her, and had her new BFF - her bunny bear - in hand. We settled into my bed and I began nursing her to sleep. As her little fingers caressed bunny bear's ears and her body relaxed, I watched her eyes droop lower and lower. Finally, she took a big sigh, and rolled away from me. The signal she was giving up the fight and watching the nightly sugarplum dance behind her heavy lids.
Last night however, instead of staying on her side, she flipped all the way over to her tummy and buried her face into the comforter, then flipped her head to the side with a contented sigh, and eyes closed, smacked her lips in contentment. I held still, waiting until a deep sleep took over before I moved her to her crib for the night. Before I could draw another breath, though, she suddenly popped straight up on her knees, eyes bright and alert, looked at me with a devilish grin and announced "BAWK!"
I tried to reason with her. "Hayden, it's bedtime now. Time to go to sleep. Mommy's very tired, and we all need to lay down and close our..."
"BAWK! BAWK! BAWK! Heeeeeeeeee!"
"Hayden, come on now. Why don't you lay down and let Mommy rub your back until you fall asleep?"
"Ha ah ah eeeee eeehhhaa. Pfffffffffffttttttttthhhhhhh", she answered, blowing happy raspberries at me as I tried to wrangle her back to the bed. She was intent on climbing the headboard, and in no mood to lay down.
She was too cute for me to be frustrated, despite how exceedingly tired I was, and I had to hide a smile as she fluttered her lips at me, spit bubbles flying.
Now that we have her sleeping most of the nights (Hallelujah for that!), I suppose our next challenge will be getting her to sleep!
No comments:
Post a Comment