Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Ten Things I love about my husband

I'm starting a new sort of post today... a 10 things post. Every once in awhile I think we all need to remind ourselves of the reasons we do something, or enjoy someone's company, or are happy, or...well, you get the idea. So from time to time, I am going to pen down my top 10 reasons, or maybe just the first 10 reasons I think of, as a little 'sticky note' for my heart for a particular subject.

Today, I thought it would be great to start with my husband, my companion and mate, and 10 of the many (many, many, many) reasons I love him. I encourage you to do the same for your spouse - here, in my comments, or on your own blog, or just on a piece of notebook paper left somewhere they may just happen to notice it (IN THE MIDDLE OF THEIR PILLOW). Because what good is loving all these great things about a person if you don't tell them?

So, in no particular order, here are 10 things I love about my husband:

1. His laugh. So cliche, but so true. Few things sound as good to me as when he laughs.

2. His musical abilities. Ever wonder why girls go ga-ga over bands? There is something so attractive to me about a man that can play a musical instrument. And despite the insanity around how our piano got into the house, I love to come home now and hear him serenading us.

3. What a great dad he is. Last night, he gave Hayden her breathing treatment, then curled up with her to read some books before bedtime, and I swear I just oozed into a big puddle on the floor. Is there anything so endearing as a great big man and his wee little baby girl wrapped up together reading "...SIX slippery fish! One! Two! Three! Four..."

4. How in tune to me he is. He knows when I'm happy, mad, sad, stressed, bored, whatever, and he is always so wonderful at sharing the great times with me and helping me through the bad.

5. His passion around antiques, particularly cars. The man loves cars. I seriously never worry about him cheating on me, because he already has a mistress that keeps him way more interested than any woman could - those old rusty skeletons, which are transformed in his mind and his hands back to the magnificent engineering marvels they were in their heyday. We had many a serious discussion about those rambling wrecks before he would get serious about marriage - he needed me to understand just how much of an obsession they were for him. Gladly, it's a hobby we both enjoy, and we really look forward to rolling down the road with Hayden in tow one of these days.

6. How comfortable he is in his own skin. He has this great attitude of "here I am, take me or leave me", and really doesn't worry whether other people like him or not. He is who he is. I wish I could be more like that.

7. His family. They really are great. I love my in-laws so much, and love being right next door to them. How could I not love the two people that created this amazing man? They've truly taken me in as one of their own. On the flip side, I also love how well he gets along with my family, who have claimed him as well. Seriously, sometimes I have to pry him and my dad apart when they get to singing and picking together.

8. His dreams. He loves to dream big, as do I, and we have fun planning our goals and adventures together. Granted, sometimes it's a wee bit overwhelming (look at the yard we have to work on now!), but I love that he has aspirations and ambitions.

9. His willingness to try almost anything. once. He was one of the pickiest adult eaters I'd ever met, but the man never hesitates to try something new, and I think that will set a great example for Hayden as she begins trying new things. He's also willing to do about anything I rope him into, at least one time. He and I took ballroom dancing classes when we were first dating - and the fact that he agreed -wholeheartedly, I might add - is a fact that still amazes me.

10. That I can trust and rely on him to be there, no matter what. We both went into our marriage as if there were no option for failure. It made us very cautious going into our union, but it truly makes our lives so much better knowing that we can be ourselves - imperfect, messy, broken, flaws and all - without sending the other one running for the hills. Or maybe they run to the hills, but it's just for a break, and then they come back and help pick up the pieces. Someone said that if you treat your marriage as if divorce is not an option, it makes all your decisions, arguments, issues and challenges so much easier to figure out. He and I are a team. We're in this together, for better or worse, so we both try to treat each other with respect and love and honor, and we work together to get through issues and problems, and search together for a middle ground rather than focusing on the differences and faults. Not to say that our marriage is perfect, but you know what? Because we work at it, and commit and re-commit to it, and take time for one another, it's damn close to perfect.

Happy Tuesday! I love you, Chris!

No comments: