Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Our little Sweet Potato Queen

This week, Hayden had her six month check up (14 lbs, 13 oz and 26" long!), which included the long awaited "solid foods" discussion. It was okayed by the doc to begin letting her try some solid foods, which I've been expecting, and I think Hayden has been eagerly anticipating, by the way she's made lightning-quick grabs at my dishes lately.

In anticipation of this new stage, I prepared her some homemade strained carrots and smashed sweet potatoes. I don't know if this is something that I will continue doing or not - making her food - but I had several reasons for wanting to do so:
  1. I've 'prepared' all her other food to date. It was more natural for me to do it myself than to run out to the supermarket for take out for her first "solid" meal.
  2. I thought it would taste better fresh, and I could control what went into it.
  3. I was curious to see how easy/difficult it would be.
  4. It's way CHEAPER. A couple hours in the kitchen, and I had over 32 'meals' prepared for her (they suggested only starting her at 1-2 teaspoons at a time.

End result? It was pretty darn easy, even more so once I did a little Internet research and found I probably went a wee bit overboard straining everything to the nth degree. It was fun dividing the portions and freezing in ice cube trays for later (yes, that was fun. Don't judge me.). And I really, really liked knowing I'd made her dinner.

We decided to start with sweet potatoes- one of my all time favorite foods - and it has met with unquestionable approval. The first bite or two was hysterical to watch. The expressions on Hayden's face went from nonchalant "eating my cereal, no big thing" to confused/disgust "this is NOT my cereal! Que horror!" to contemplative "wait a minute - this is actually not half bad" to excitement "hey, this is pretty good stuff!" to impatient "don't tell me that was all there is!! You must have more of this glorious orange goop! At least let me lick the spoon, mom!"

And there you have it. The beginning of another end. The start of her transition from breastfeeding to Burger King. I'd like to say I'm totally heartbroken, but as with every milestone, it's with a mix of emotions that we take this next step. I'm sad to watch her shed those infant trappings and embrace more 'grown up' inclinations, but at the same time, I'm standing there cheering her on, making airplane noises and telling her to open wide, every bit as excited as she is at her new accomplishments.

No comments: