Dear Hayden,
I cannot believe I am writing to you on your 5-month birthday already. I keep thinking in my head, "she's just a little over 3 months old", and then I start counting and realize, "no, she's almost 6 months old!!" If I could figure out how to hit pause so I could soak every ounce out of how wonderful and precious and adorable you are this minute I would. Believe me, I try. Having you around is such wonderful therapy for letting go of all the stress and hustle and bustle of our lives. You often cajol me with grins and slobbery raspberries to stop whatever I'm doing to come play with you. I delight in those times when I can just flop on the floor next to you, ignoring my pressed pants and high heels, and roll around with you - tickling, giggling, drooling (mostly that's you), and lots and lots of kissing and hugging!

You are the most affectionate little baby I've ever known. You LOVE to hug me, your daddy, your grandma and papa, meema and poppie, your aunts and uncles, teachers, strangers, EVERYBODY! I cannot describe the euphoria of when you reach those pudgy little arms up and cling to my neck as you bury your head into my chest. If being loved could overflow my heart and make it burst, you'd be the one to do it! And then, if that weren't enough, you'll lean your face into mine and give me this great, slobbery open mouth kiss on my cheek (to be honest, I'm not sure whether you're trying to kiss me or eat me, but I love it either way)!

You're also such a little flirt. You'll decide you want someone's attention - often when we're at church - and you'll bore holes into them with your stare until they acknowledge you (often with this half-cocked anticipatory grin dancing over your face), and the second they do, you break into a huge smile and just bury your head into my chest like you're embarrassed at the attention. Of course, that's just for a second, because then you're up and trying to get them to look over once again.

You are still such a content baby, too. This week, your teachers were commenting on how wonderful you do at daycare - they said you hardly ever fuss. You just love to go there and play all day, and you're great at putting yourself down for a nap, and you've even decided you like to feed yourself - you hold your own bottle when it's time to eat (of course, they have to sometimes put a finger on the back to keep it high enough. If it were up to you, you'd hold it much lower. That's a pretty heavy deal for a wee one like you to hold for so long!)
You are getting stronger every day, though. This last week, you started trying to crawl, and while you haven't made much forward progress yet, you are definitely getting mobile. You tend to go side to side, backwards, or (my favorite) in circles! I lay you on your quilt, and sprinkle toys around you, just out of your reach, and you try so hard to get to them. You crack me up - you look like you're doing the breaststroke on dry land - arms and legs just flailing. After a moment you wear yourself out and lay your sweet little head down, panting. That's when you really start moving. You'll raise up on your tippy toes and stick that little bum up in the air, and with your head anchoring you on the quilt, you start navigating left or right. I've watched you go a full 360 doing that.

You are getting really good at sitting up on your own - you've been practicing all month - and you really amazed your doctor and nurses at your 4 month check by sitting in my lap as they came in to see us. We still have to keep a close eye on you, and keep some pillows nearby because you still manage to lose your balance and crash down on occasion (ususally on your head, and ususally the moment I look away, aarrrgh!). You're so adept at playing with your toys, but your daddy and I have decided we can save a fortune, and save the planet, by collecting plastic bottles - that's one of your favorite toys! If you see me or daddy drinking something, you HAVE to have it. It just breaks my heart to move those drinks out of your reach and not share with you, especially with that sweet little expectant face staring at me. I have a feeling that saying "no" is going to be a necessary evil at times. I hate to disappoint you, but sometimes I'm going to have to say no for your own good. You won't like it much at the time, but I guarantee you, I'll hate it.

You made your daddy's day this week. He came to pick you up from school (something I usually do because I work so close), and your teacher told him that when he got out of his truck and came walking by your window, you began squealing with delight and bouncing around your exersaucer. I was very impressed that your recognized him from the window and so happy to hear how excited you were to see him. I know that just tickled him to death. Honey, I believe you've figured out the fastest way to that man's heart already. It's all over but the crying. You're going to have him so wrapped around those little baby fingers...

Your beautiful hair just keeps growing, and keeps amazing people. Everywhere we go we get stopped and people have to comment on how pretty you are, and how gorgeous your hair is. It's almost embarrassing, really. People are just enamored with you - complete strangers have to stop us at the store to tell us how pretty you are. They all think you look just like a little doll, and they're always impressed with your hair and especially with how alert and attentive and sweet you are. Of course, you're over there doing your flirting tricks, making them fall for you, too.

You are so sweet, and so smart, and so happy. We just couldn't be blessed any more than we are with you, my dear one. I am so lucky to be your Mama, and I am so enjoying this adventure with you. Do me a favor, and don't grow up too quickly, okay? We're having a pretty good time, you and me, aren't we?
All my love,
Mama
I cannot believe I am writing to you on your 5-month birthday already. I keep thinking in my head, "she's just a little over 3 months old", and then I start counting and realize, "no, she's almost 6 months old!!" If I could figure out how to hit pause so I could soak every ounce out of how wonderful and precious and adorable you are this minute I would. Believe me, I try. Having you around is such wonderful therapy for letting go of all the stress and hustle and bustle of our lives. You often cajol me with grins and slobbery raspberries to stop whatever I'm doing to come play with you. I delight in those times when I can just flop on the floor next to you, ignoring my pressed pants and high heels, and roll around with you - tickling, giggling, drooling (mostly that's you), and lots and lots of kissing and hugging!

You are the most affectionate little baby I've ever known. You LOVE to hug me, your daddy, your grandma and papa, meema and poppie, your aunts and uncles, teachers, strangers, EVERYBODY! I cannot describe the euphoria of when you reach those pudgy little arms up and cling to my neck as you bury your head into my chest. If being loved could overflow my heart and make it burst, you'd be the one to do it! And then, if that weren't enough, you'll lean your face into mine and give me this great, slobbery open mouth kiss on my cheek (to be honest, I'm not sure whether you're trying to kiss me or eat me, but I love it either way)!

You're also such a little flirt. You'll decide you want someone's attention - often when we're at church - and you'll bore holes into them with your stare until they acknowledge you (often with this half-cocked anticipatory grin dancing over your face), and the second they do, you break into a huge smile and just bury your head into my chest like you're embarrassed at the attention. Of course, that's just for a second, because then you're up and trying to get them to look over once again.

You are still such a content baby, too. This week, your teachers were commenting on how wonderful you do at daycare - they said you hardly ever fuss. You just love to go there and play all day, and you're great at putting yourself down for a nap, and you've even decided you like to feed yourself - you hold your own bottle when it's time to eat (of course, they have to sometimes put a finger on the back to keep it high enough. If it were up to you, you'd hold it much lower. That's a pretty heavy deal for a wee one like you to hold for so long!)
You are getting stronger every day, though. This last week, you started trying to crawl, and while you haven't made much forward progress yet, you are definitely getting mobile. You tend to go side to side, backwards, or (my favorite) in circles! I lay you on your quilt, and sprinkle toys around you, just out of your reach, and you try so hard to get to them. You crack me up - you look like you're doing the breaststroke on dry land - arms and legs just flailing. After a moment you wear yourself out and lay your sweet little head down, panting. That's when you really start moving. You'll raise up on your tippy toes and stick that little bum up in the air, and with your head anchoring you on the quilt, you start navigating left or right. I've watched you go a full 360 doing that.

You are getting really good at sitting up on your own - you've been practicing all month - and you really amazed your doctor and nurses at your 4 month check by sitting in my lap as they came in to see us. We still have to keep a close eye on you, and keep some pillows nearby because you still manage to lose your balance and crash down on occasion (ususally on your head, and ususally the moment I look away, aarrrgh!). You're so adept at playing with your toys, but your daddy and I have decided we can save a fortune, and save the planet, by collecting plastic bottles - that's one of your favorite toys! If you see me or daddy drinking something, you HAVE to have it. It just breaks my heart to move those drinks out of your reach and not share with you, especially with that sweet little expectant face staring at me. I have a feeling that saying "no" is going to be a necessary evil at times. I hate to disappoint you, but sometimes I'm going to have to say no for your own good. You won't like it much at the time, but I guarantee you, I'll hate it.

You made your daddy's day this week. He came to pick you up from school (something I usually do because I work so close), and your teacher told him that when he got out of his truck and came walking by your window, you began squealing with delight and bouncing around your exersaucer. I was very impressed that your recognized him from the window and so happy to hear how excited you were to see him. I know that just tickled him to death. Honey, I believe you've figured out the fastest way to that man's heart already. It's all over but the crying. You're going to have him so wrapped around those little baby fingers...

Your beautiful hair just keeps growing, and keeps amazing people. Everywhere we go we get stopped and people have to comment on how pretty you are, and how gorgeous your hair is. It's almost embarrassing, really. People are just enamored with you - complete strangers have to stop us at the store to tell us how pretty you are. They all think you look just like a little doll, and they're always impressed with your hair and especially with how alert and attentive and sweet you are. Of course, you're over there doing your flirting tricks, making them fall for you, too.

You are so sweet, and so smart, and so happy. We just couldn't be blessed any more than we are with you, my dear one. I am so lucky to be your Mama, and I am so enjoying this adventure with you. Do me a favor, and don't grow up too quickly, okay? We're having a pretty good time, you and me, aren't we?
All my love,
Mama
No comments:
Post a Comment