Monday, May 4, 2009

Bad Mommy Tricks

Every once in a while, as a mother, you do something that you know you shouldn't. Something you know you'll live to regret, or something that will at least make other mothers and by standers frown upon you and 'tsk, tsk' your incredible lack of concern for your child. I call these my "bad mommy tricks". Things like letting the baby sleep in the carseat! On the bed! While you run to the bathroom. Yes, I know she can suffocate like that, and I know that she could suddenly wake up, become infuriated in the carseat and manage to fling herself off the bed face first, but sometimes you just gotta live on the edge, darnit, and throw all caution to the wind so you can pee in peace.

Maybe because I'm a glutton for punishment, or maybe just to make my other mommy friends (who I KNOW do these things as well) not feel so crazy, I've decided to add a new category to my blog and occasionally share some of my moments of poor judgement and utter disregard for my baby's welfare...
Here goes nothing!

Hayden now has pretty good use of her hands, and has begun focusing her energies on grabbing everything within arm's reach (and trying for stuff a little further away, which I fear will have her crawling any minute!). If Mommy's holding it, Hayden wants to hold it. This is especially true of any plastic bottles or drinks. The kid has figured out the bottle thing, and thinks any one she sees should be hers. She has laser beams for any bottle in her sightline... You should see her try to wrap her lips around the giant plastic caps on a soda bottle (don't worry, you germaphobes, and you know who you are... I usually remember to clean off the caps before she begins slobbering all over them!). It's a riot to see her try to tackle a bottle bigger than she is!

Now she's after my glasses, too, so usually I'm holding the top, trying to drink, and she's holding the bottom, trying to pry it from my grasp. This weekend we were out at the park, it was muggy, we were thirsty, and when I finally got a sprite, I was gulping it down I was so thirsty. I suddenly saw Hayden's eager expression out of the corner of my eye and watched her chubby little fingers grasping for my cup and, well... I couldn't help myself... I let her have a taste.

I know, I know... it's cute the first time, but in a couple months we'll be regretting this move, I'm sure. Last night at dinner, she gave me those puppy dog eyes (I'm a sucker, I know), and I let her have some of my water. She absolutely loved it! No sippy cups for this kid -she just wants the real deal. It's the funniest thing in the world, to watch her try to tackle that cup and suck the water into her mouth, sometimes getting her little tongue in there and lapping at it. Cracks me up!!!
Now that we know she likes soda, I'm going to see what she thinks about straight-up high fructose corn syrup. JUST KIDDING. They advise you to wait until at least 6 months before you give them the hard stuff.
Updated to add:
I just found out I'm not the only "bad mama" out there... I found this post through another blog I read, and it turns out there's a whole slew of mamas that would never, ever do crazy things like me!

No comments: