Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Motherhood Rule #237

I'll go ahead and warn you all - this is what some might call a "TMI" post, but as a new mother, I find that my boundries of what I will and won't share thse days are surprisingly broad.  For those also in my shoes, I'm sure you can relate.  For those who aren't, but have been, I'm sure you'll remember these days fondly.  For those who haven't been there yet, sorry, but this is how things go. Brace yourself.  For those who won't ever be in this position, or who are grossed out anyway... might want to skip this one.  Fair warning.

Motherhood Rule #237

Your suddenly "too-busy-for-cuddling-I-can-walk-and-need-to-go-explore" 14 month old will determine that the only time s/he wants to be cuddled, nay - MUST be cuddled - is the 2 minutes you need to go to the bathroom.  S/he will toddle in, stuffed animal, books and toys in hand and demand to be placed in your lap immediately or face the wrath of Unhappy Child, S/He Who Refuses To Be Soothed, and will force you to listen to wailing the likes of the pitiful demons of hell until you acquiese and set Her Majesty squarely on your lap (the same one you're using to do... er, other things).

That's good for me, though, you know, because  I can't think of a time when I want more to cuddle and snuggle closely with someone than that particular time. I just love having a small body squirm on my legs and play with my shirt...then. Ah, the joys of having a child!

After our "quality time" this morning, I had to peel Hayden off of me and try to convince her between screams that I was actually done and going to stand up myself.  Once we passed that hurdle, her new fascination became the toilet and what was in it (lovely).  I cautioned her though, to step back, telling her she had to be CAREFUL there and that we don't play there.  She immediately backed up a good step or two and peered at the bowl from a distance, clutching her Bunny Bear tightly.  As I stepped forward grasp the handle and end this freak show, she quickly grabbed my pants leg and whining, pulled me away.  I realized that she had grasped my warning well - she didn't want me to get to close to this dangerous object either... I carefully reached my arm over and flipped the handle, and then we left the bathroom, her off to another adventure, me off to warn other mothers of this odd toddler rule. 

No comments: