Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A Little Harried

After being up approximately every 15 minutes last night (yes, you heard me right) between the hours of 11:30 and 6:00 tending to a very snotty, extremely clogged up little baby who was not thrilled with being so, I am a wee bit worn down, you might say. Adding to my exhaustion was the horrendous "thud!" and ear-piercing scream that woke me up at 5:15 this morning, only minutes after having dozed off (again). Chris and I jumped up (or at least I did. I know he had one eye open... I think. Hard to remember), and I flipped the light on to check the crib, from whence the sound came, only to find a soundly snoozing Hayden. Poor thing. She must've been having a bad dream, we reasoned, and rolled around in bed enough to make the crashing sound we heard. Fast forward 5 minutes, to about the time I slipped from consciousness, and an urgent crying jolted me up yet again. Light on, look in the crib, and she's... out like a light (no pun intended). I comforted her with thoughts of Bunny Bears and Paci's, and assured her Mommy and Daddy were nearby, so please, please GO TO SLEEP FOR THE LOVE! and gently tucked her wee little body back in, smoothed back her hair, and crawled defeatedly back into bed.

Apparently my soothing worked wonders because she didn't stir again, and neither did I. Through my alarms and Chris's I slept, and awoke with a start at 7:30, with barely enough time to splash some water on the important parts , brush my teeth and hair and get Hayden ready to go.

As we dashed out of the bathroom, I noticed the very firm imprint of my pillow across my cheek, giving me only the time to hope it would fade before I arrived at work (it didn't).

In the kitchen, I got Hayden fastened in her seat and got her morning reflux medicine and syringed it up the dropper, ready to dispense it when I noticed it had turned a rather unseemly brown color (it's usually a very pale yellow). Perplexed, I took a quick look at the bottle as I got ready to give it to her, and noticed just in time that I had prepared a cc of Vanilla Flavoring to dose her with. That's, good, Bon. Send her to preschool with alcohol on her breath. That won't raise any questions. Of course, my only thought was that I was glad I hadn't switched it with something worse. Like the triple antibiotic ointment and the orajel (never happened).

Some mornings are a little crazier than others. This is why we have kids. To keep life interesting. Keep us on our toes. Keep us sleep deprived to the point of incapacitation.

Good times... good times....

1 comment:

Jenni said...

My dear, Bonnie. You are not alone. :)