Hayden has been working on expanding her vocabulary over the last few months, and in classic Hayden style, she has done it on her timeline, and when it suits her. She learned several new words early on, used them sufficiently to prove she could say them, then ceased using them at all. Same tact she took learning to wave "bye-bye", same as when she started rolling over. Once she knows she can do it, she doesn't feel the need to practice it anymore or prove to the world that she can do it. And, added benefit: it frustrates Mama and Daddy when they try to show her off, and makes them look dumb. An effect I'm sure she'll work towards for years to come.
Based on my own feelings toward math homework growing up (I learned how to do it, I practiced a few times so I was comfortable doing it, and now you want me to do it how many more times?!?? pppptttttthhhh on that!), I can already see the crying, screaming event Hayden's own homework could well turn into. Maybe she'll take after Chris on that one. Haydie, all I'm saying is that it's hard to become the engineer that you... er...your daddy wants you to if you aren't into math. Chris, good luck with that one. I've done my part.
Anyway, long way back from that tangent, but my point is that Hayden has recently started expanding her vocabulary at a pretty speedy pace (for someone limited to a couple words, anything seems fast). In the last week and a half she's added several new ones, some of them surprising to even us.
She has long been able to say "Hi" (although that one's still on her banned list, for some reason), she can say "Bye-bye" and does often. In fact, the other night at my in-laws they had some friends visiting, and when Marilyn said that they should probably think about going home, Hayden perked up, looked right at her and popped out "BYE!" Cracked us all up. Over the remainder of the visit, anytime Marilyn spoke to her, or Hayden noticed her, she'd just shout "BYE!" (So, speaking her mind - check! One skill we won't need to work on much, I see.)
She can say "Da-da", and does all the time. Still tears my heart into a million pieces hearing that sweet voice call his name, and seeing him respond. I LOVE seeing them together - too sweet for words.
She started saying Ma-Ma last week more often, and to me occasionally. In fact, I was making dinner, and she came toddling up calling "da-da-da-da-da" reaching for the cracker I had in my hand. I jokingly told her that if she wanted something from me, she'd better call me "Ma-ma. MA-MA." Big difference in me and "da-da". Next thing I know she's reaching for the cracker calling "ma-ma-ma-ma-ma!" I gave her all the crackers. What else could I do?
She also started saying "Pa-pa" and "Poppie" last week, and surprisingly, "Abbie" - her cousin who she's only met twice up to now, and knows mostly from pictures. If you tell her to show you Abbie, though, she'll toddle right over to her picture and point her out. Of course, seeing the real live Abbie at dinner last night, she refused to display any of those skills.
Another one she's learned is "uh-oh" This is an oldie but goodie that she's recently resurrected around the same time she discovered the delight in THROWING things to the ground. Sometimes when she's done with them. Sometimes just to hear them crash. Sometimes to show you that she's mad at you/the object/life. Sometimes just on accident. So now, around the house, I hear *crash!* "uh-ah, uh-ah, aahhhhh". Of course, she's insistent that you pick it up! right now! so she can have it back and hurl it back. That's a fun game.
The other night, she even said "Hay-deh" when I was talking to her about her name. Not sure if we'll count that one as official or not.
Speaking of official, one last aside - the docs kept telling me she was teething, which I assumed because of the low fever, irritability, drool, etc, but we had NO teeth coming in. I kept waiting on her next bicuspid, and it wasn't showing. It's been months since we've seen a new one! The other day, I decided to feel (this is a risky proposition with this child - she has enough front teeth to chomp a finger off, which she's apt to do if you stick it in there. Not a fan of the tooth check, this one) to see if that tooth was getting any closer. Instead, I felt a tooth behind that one - a Molar! I hadn't even considered molars yet. After a complete, and completely miserable, check of her mouth, I discovered she had THREE molars all partially in! Holy cow! She just went from 5 teeth to 8 teeth, and I missed those coming in! Note to her doctor: sorry for calling you a crazy, out-of-touch lunatic behind your back after we left. YOU WERE RIGHT. (just kidding - I love Dr. V and wouldn't call her that. I would however seriously doubt that one of us had any idea what teething symptoms looked like. Not naming names, just saying).
Merry Christmas to you and yours! Have a wonderful holiday, filled with love, family and joy.
No comments:
Post a Comment