Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Morning Routine

Hayden and I have settled into a regular morning routine that is much more conducive to me getting ready and getting us both where we need to be on time (most days).  For starters, she wakes me up around 6 or 6:30, and since she's in her room, I don't get to pick her up and roll back over with her... I have to get up and stumble to her room and bring her back to our room, and by that time, she is AWAKE.  And wants FOOD.  And her MOVIE.  Now, ye sorry chamber maid, get the to it!

In order to have a few moments without her in arms, and without wailing, so I can get the essentials done (bathroom, shower, hair, clothes), I created a little cubby in the corner of our room out of pillows one day, and sprinkled some assorted shriveled fruit corpses (raisens, dried cranberries and pineapples) on a plate and set her Baby Einstein on play, and let her be.   She quickly adapted to her new routine  (before I even realized that's what we'd created), and now backs into her little corner, Bunny Bear in arms, points to the TV and hands me her empty plate. 


That's not to say she doesn't ever get bored while I'm getting ready, and say, come bang on the shower glass, smearing her sticky face and fingers along the outside of the enclosure.  And of course, she never picks the moment I have soap in my eyes to do this, leaving me frantically trying to hold the door in place so she doesn't come tumbling in with me.  She has also never gone into the closet and come out toting my underwear from the day before, and rubbing her snotty nose with it.  Not my kid.

All in all, though, our little routine works out well for both of us, and I think she's the cutest little thing ever curled up in the corner watching her show.  It reminds me of the Saturday mornings that Grace and I would grab all our blankets and pillows and stuffies and plod down to the den (the pillows and blankets would get catapulted off the balcony, or rolled down the stairs.  Much more efficient than carrying it all) to watch our cartoons. 

No comments: