Friday, July 24, 2009

Say what?

Hayden began jabbering last night. Or babbling, if you will. Until now, her language has consisted largely of whines, wails, shrieks and coos that all sound fairly similar. Some version of "aaaaaaahhhhhhheeeeeeeeeaaaahhhh" or "eeeeeeeeehhhhhhhaaaa" or "heeeaaaaaaahaaaahhh"

Not a lot of variation going on there.

Until last night. As her Papa was handing her to Chris, she came out with something that sounded surprisingly like "dahdahdahdahdahdahdah". Of course, Chris and I harbor no delusions that she intended that to be a word, or that she was referring to him. His parents, however are another story entirely. It's another Genius Baby moment for the record books, I'm sure.
After that moment, it was like a switch had flipped. All the way home, she continued her babbling "dahdahdahgaaabbbabababa", and "ummmmbabababammm" and so on. As I put her to bed, "garmbabaaaddeeeeooo", and of course, "dadahdahahdah". Up until now, she'd get the occasional consonant sound in there, but they were few and far between. Suddenly, she decided these noises were almost (almost) as much fun as blowing raspberries at us.


It was so neat to watch her discover this new world of sounds and self-expression, and I can't wait to hear her use "da-da" with intention and meaning as she reaches up to her Daddy. Of course, I can't wait to hear "ma-ma" either, but as I've told Chris, she's a sharp one, our Hayden. She's going after the sucker first (and besides, she knows she's already got me where she wants me!)

No comments: