I have gotten a chance this week at church to spend some time with my friends' children, and while I love the age Hayden is now and am enjoying every minute, I have to admit I am looking forward to when she is able to verbalize her thoughts and feelings - I can't wait to see how that little mind works!
A few great gems that I was privy to this week:
The Babysitter
Lexi, 8, is the epitomy of a little lady. She acts and talks very grown up for her age, and has loved the opportunity to help with Hayden. As we were leaving the other night, she stopped suddenly, turned to her mom and exclaimed (finger pointed in the air for emphasis), " I've got a briliant idea! Bonnie and Hayden can come home with us!" As her mom started in on the usual "they have to go to their home now" line, I approached it differently. "Lexi, what about Mr. Chris? What will he do if we go home with you?". "Oh, him?" she pshawed, "he can go to his house to enjoy some time alone."
Gotta give her credit, the girl knows how to push the right buttons... Mr. Chris would have supported that one, no problem. His only issue would be trying to figure out what to do with all that free time! Maybe I should convince Lexi to get Mr. Chris and Hayden to go to her house and let Ms. Bonnie spend some time alone for awhile...
When not to fish
My friend's granddaughter, Carly, sat behind us at church last night and at one point her grandfather, seated on the other side of the church, began quoting from Luke 5. This scripture describes when Jesus instructed Simon to cast his nets despite the fishermen not having caught a thing all night. When they obeyed they found their nets were so full they broke. The gist of his talk was about the fact that the fishermen called their friends to help them, and how as friends we should be there to support one another, but Carly derived something entirely different from the discourse. She leaned over to her grandmother and urgently asked her to please "tell Paw-Paw he's not supposed to talk about going fishing while he's at church!"
No comments:
Post a Comment