Friday, January 29, 2010

He comes by it honestly

Today at lunch, I ran my mother-in-law on some errands, which included a trip to the local bank to process some paperwork and make a deposit. As we were waiting at the customer service desk, she decided to go ahead and fill out the deposit slip, and asked me to pass her one of the pens from the cup nearby. I complied, and commented that she was in fact already holding a pen. With a wave of her hand, she dismissed this, saying that her pen wasn't any good and she didn't like it. No worries, I told her, that's why they have this whole cup full of pens sitting right there. As she filled out the slip, she mentioned that the bank's pen "really writes good", and said she thought she'd keep it. I told her I was sure that was fine, since they typically put them out for customers to use and/or keep, you know, which is why they put their logo on it and all. Still, she was a bit surreptitious as she slipped the new found wonder into her handbag.

This cracked me up because of the number of pens we have carried home from dinner because inevitably whenever Chris is signing the receipt at dinner, he comments on how well the pen writes. It was an all-too familiar circumstance, but thankfully, I wasn't the one tucking the pilfered item into my bag today. Interestingly enough, Chris discovered later when using one of the 'borrowed' pens at work that the wonderful flow of the ink was due in fact to the lovely padded writing surface on most of the receipt trays, and not a virtue of the pen itself.

It was just amusing to learn after all these years that my dear husband's propensity for lifting well-writing pens was in fact a genetic trait, and makes me wonder if our daughter has inherited the same. I suppose only time will tell. For now, just keep an eye on your pens if a Padgett's around.

No comments: